Crop Production Division
- Since the production cost of soybeans in Taiwan is high, cultivation area is being reduced year by year. Most of the soybean raw materials needed locally are imported from other countries. For detailed production data, please visit http://www.afa.gov.tw/Agricultural Statistics Inquiry at home page.
- If you want to purchase local soybeans, contact the promotional section of the Yunlin agricultural association or town agricultural association of the origin, or contact Tainan Yunlin Hseija Fruit and Vegetable Transporting and Marketing Association under the supervision of the MOA (Tel: 06-7831163).
There are many varieties of Taiwan fruits and are divided according to the growing districts of fruits:
Banana: Nantou, Kaohsiung, and Pintung Yunlin
Pineapple: Nantou, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, Pintung, and Taitung
Mandarin: Miaoli, Taichung, Yunlin, and Tainan County
Tankan: Taipei, Ilan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, and Taichung County
Sweet orange: Nantou, Yunlin, Chiayi, and Tainan County
Papaya: Nantou, Kaohsiung, Pintung, Tainan, and Yunlin
Lychee: Taichung, Nantou, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, and Pintung
Longan: Taichung, Nantou, Chiayi, Tainan, and Kaohsiung County
Carambola: Miaoli, Taichung, and Tainan County
Pomelo: Ilan, Miaoli, Yunlin, Tainan, Hualien, and Taitung County
For information, visit the web page of the COA（http://www.moa.gov.tw/）or the web page of Agriculture and Food Agency (http://www.afa.gov.tw/).
- Where can I find these chestnuts plantation districts?
- What are the characteristics of Taiwan chestnuts?
- How are chestnuts processed?
Since there is nothing special about Taiwan chestnuts and the fruit is not so good, it is not competitive locally. Chestnuts sold in the market are imported. For information about processing method, contact the Department of Food Science of the national Pintung University of Science and Technology at 08-7703202.
When potato is flooded with sunlight, its skin will turn green. If there is no bud sprouting, then it is still edible. If bud sprouting is serious and all the skin turns green, scoop the eyes thoroughly, peel the greening portion, immerse in cold water for one hour for solanine in the potato to dissolve in water, and add some vinegar when frying. When it is cooked and become tender, toxic are also removed. But if greening at the eyes and roots is very serious after bud sprouting, solanine content in the potato tubers that is detrimental to the human body will increase rapidly, so it is not edible for the good of your health.
Tainung No. 17 variety pineapple was cultivated by the Chia-Yi Agricultural Experimental Station of the MOA. The fruit is cylindrical, thin skin, shallow eye, and fruit meat is dark yellow or yellow, a variety that ripens early. Flower induction period is from the middle of September till the beginning of October every year, and harvesting at the following year from march to May. It is a variety that is locally cultivated at a vast area at present. For information about cultivation and management, please contact the Chia-Yi Agricultural Experimental Station. （Tel: 05-2771341）